Friday, April 10, 2009

A Little Bribery Never Hurt Anyone

This is how I get my kids to listen to General Conference. Every time they hear the word, they get to eat. They get to help pick the words and assign them to the treat. After one session, they do some switching with words that they never heard to words they think they will hear more. So for Sunday afternoon we added "temple" to the mix. I have to thank Elder Bednar for his talk about "temple" and "service". We ate well during that one. We even ran out of our "temple" treat and had to combine with something else.

It must be noted that I don't expect my kids to sit motionless for the entire thing. The rule is they have to be close to the room with the TV. You'd be surprised how well they hear a word and come running in to get their snack.

Who says you shouldn't bribe your kids with food??

11 comments:

Jenn said...

Love it! What a great idea. I'm with you on not expecting entire attention throughout the sessions. I think that is an awesome idea!

The Andersen Family said...

That is hilarious! I love it (and wish my parents would have done that, ha!)

Kara said...

What a great idea. I don't get to hear very much because of the big kid distraction. I need to try this. Thanks Muriel.

Eris said...

That is a great idea. I may have to try it - although we spent the last conference at soccer games and feminist outings.

Rachie said...

I love this idea. I will be using it in 6 months. Thanks!

Kelly said...

Hey, that is such a great idea! I'm for sure doing that next conference! We had a bingo game with the same kind of idea with hearing a word they get to mark a spot... we forgot to do it...

korth fam said...

too too funny, your creativeness overwhelms me...much to aspire to!

Julie said...

What a great idea! I'm gonna have to try that one next conf! I always do the little packets and goodie bags for them but this is something new! What a great idea~!!!

Melanie said...

This is a great idea! I am definitely going to file this idea away for next conference.

Henry Family said...

Bribery, yes! I'm not above it when it comes to my kids. I'll definitely have to try this one next Conference. Your blog is so cute! It will be fun to keep in touch this way.

jennycooks said...

Oh, this makes me laugh. Good one.