Monday, March 22, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

So, for a long time I have said that I would love to be called as the Ward Activities Chairwoman. I love to plan parties and have no one come. (At least that's been my experience when planning my own gatherings.) A couple of weeks ago, I got the call. Either I mentioned it to the right person, or they really wanted to get us (and by us, I mean me, because Matt is an awesome teacher) out of teaching the pilot class "Strengthening Marriage".

I don't know about your wards, but in the last 4 years that we have lived here, we have done the same activities. The Chili Cook-Off in March, the Pancake Breakfast on the 4th of July, the Trunk-or-Treat in October, and the Christmas Party. I'm going to bet that it's the same for most of you. Minus the Chili Cook-Off in March. March?? I only make chili from September on, when the weather is right. Now that I think about it, here in Idaho, that can include March.

I got the "go-ahead" to shake things up a bit. I might get fired before I even get to some of my ideas, but it needs to be done. While I won't mess with the Trunk-or-Treat, I definitely have plans for the Christmas Party. I hope no one is offended when I don't serve ham and funeral potatoes.

What are some of your favorite or not so favorite activities that you have been to? I'm talking church gatherings, neighborhood block parties, school parties. We, Mormons, can adapt almost anything to suit our needs, right?

12 comments:

J & M Shumate Family said...

I love ward talent night with popcorn and desserts...sitting on blankets and chillin'. If your ward is fun and you get crazy skits, talents...it can be a blast. In the summer our ward has an ice cream party at a park. The kids love playing. They decorate bikes and ride them in a bike parade. Then we've played ulimate frisbee, baseball, soccer, water balloon volleyball...it is fun!

Cydnee Gee said...

My girlfriend in Herriman has the same calling and I've seen some posts about the activities she has done. Now granted, she goes a little over the top usually, sounds like they've had some awesome activities. Somehow they did a big ward party movie night with concessions and a working popcorn machine, with an adapted version of Scene It. I'm not sure how she did it, but knowing her, I'm sure it was cool and everyone raved about it.

Henry Family said...

Here in Texas we had an awesome ward party during the summer. We combine with the other ward that meets in our building (I think they had to combine the budgets) and had an outdoor carnival of sorts. There was an inflatable waterslide and water balloon toss for the kids. They held a relay race for the families. Part of the relay involved "shaving" a missionary with a popsicle stick and whipping cream. For food they did a BBQ along with a popcorn and shaved ice stand. It was really a blast!

Muriel said...

Cyd- I think I will need the link to your friend's blog please. You know me I'm over the top as well.

Andi said...

Can I come to your Christmas party?

All I know is if someone has put alot time and effort into an activity, I'm happy to support it. It's the last minute thrown together stuff that drives me crazy...

We had a great 4th of July picnic last year at our Bishop's home (he has a huge backyard). A great spread of food, a few words from a current air force gentleman (we live close to an air base), and a pledge of allegience, etc. Good food, good conversation, and a moment to think about our freedoms. It was simple, but had all of the elements of a social event.

The Numismatist said...

Deb and Keith have been shaking it up in their ward for a couple of years. In fact, she believes that her bishop built a home and moved just so he could get away from her! But her parties have always been a success. When she gets back from CA you need to talk.

Just a reminder: Our church has regular activities such as Ski Sunday, Lagoon Sunday, Ice Fishing Sunday, Super Bowl Sunday, etc., etc. Not to mention summers off.

high said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa said...

I like Christmas breakfasts and our ward had a fun drive-in movie night where we decorated our own cardboard box cars and watched a movie. People really got into that.

earlh75 said...

I was on our ward comitte for 3 years until they finally let me have the reigns...then we moved 2 months later :(. It's okay tho, for now anyway.

How exciting.

Joanne English said...

We have breakfast for our Christmas party. To support our local Road Home,(and instead of neighbor gifts) everyone purchases shoes for the children (the children have made cute paper feet and a brief description of what they need)brings them to the church and after breakfast we wrap them.

Kimberlee said...

You go girl...You'll be great, change is good!!! and as far as your weight challange for us...you're on!!! I'll think of something equally as tempting for you!

heatheraneeley said...

Our ward just did a Luau last weekend! I know...strange time of year to have one...but it was fun. My girlfriend and I were able to get recipes from the PCC in Hawaii and the food was awesome. We are a really small ward...we finally graduated from a branch and have very small budgets. I was amazed at what we did with such a little amt. What a fun calling....good luck!