Monday, October 8, 2007

Final Harvest


This was our final harvest for the season. We were advised to pick everything we could before the freeze that was in the forecast. Unfortunately, we only got the one pumpkin, but luckily it is still ripening and should be a nice shade of orange just in time for carving. We also picked all of our green tomatoes and they are ripening nicely in a brown paper grocery sack. I should get in another big batch of fresh salsa (wish I had a pressure canner, though). I couldn't talk anyone into eating fried green tomatoes. And it's too bad that no one else likes spaghetti squash. Guess I get to enjoy it all.

Surprisingly enough, just before it snowed 5 inches on Saturday, Dad picked one last zucchini. M. is busy eating the cherry tomatoes and a. loves her cucumbers and dip.

10 comments:

Nick said...

If you're wanting to do cooked salsa- you can do that without the pressure canner. You just need to add enough acid- 1 cup of vinegar (or 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice) per ten cups of tomato sauce. I used some balsamic vinegar for a batch and it was good.

Muriel said...

Thanks, Nick. I obviously haven't done the research. Can you send a good recipe my way?

JennyW said...

At least Nick says it'll work ... you may want to wait until we pass through the winter eating our canned salsa unharmed before you try out the recipe :)

Muriel said...

Thanks for the warning.

Eris said...

show off.

We can barely get to our harvest, thanks to the mutant tomato plant that has taken over the whole dang yard.

Feed me, Seymour!

Muriel said...

Yeah, but you were getting veggies (mutant and all) way before we were. Just get a nice pair of pruners and attack the thing head on. Good luck with that.

apyknowzitall said...

Mmmm.... fried green tomatoes. I haven't made some of those for a few years.

sandi said...

you should ask blue iguana for there salsa recipe! Then send me some! I wish I was there to share some of the harvest! I also love spaghetti squash!

Muriel said...

For the last time, Sandi, I cannot send salsa through the mail! (And it's Senor Iguanas) Now, spaghetti squash I could mail...

sandi said...

who says you can't send salsa??? pack it up nice and tight, put in a styrafoam cooler add dry ice wrap tightly and securely, add address and stamps and send!! Don't forget the chips! And sorry I will try not to forget senor.