Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympic Spirit

While I'm not one for writing down every little thing my kids say, this is gold medal worthy.

The boys were picking out tie tacks to wear on Sunday as part of their getting ready for church regime. They love to dig through all the pins in Matt's jewelry box (yes, I called it a jewelry box, even though it houses all kinds of cr...stuff). This particular day, Mitchell chooses an Olympic pin that Matt got while serving his mission during the Barcelona, Spain Olympics in 1992 Here is the conversation:
Mitchell: "Wow, is this an Olympic pin, Dad?
Dad: "Yep, it's from when the Olympics were in Spain when I was on my mission."
Mitchell: "Oh, did you compete?"
(copious amounts of laughter from me in the other room)
Dad: "I love you, bud. No, I did not compete in the Olympics."
Does every kid think his Dad could compete in the Olympics?? I still laugh when I think of it. I'm not sure how that helps Matt's ego, though.

5 comments:

earlh75 said...

That's funny! I'm sure almost every kid thinks that their parents should compete in the olympics...to them we are hero's.

The Numismatist said...

Great story! I'm sure when they introduce disc golf into the Olympics Matt will have that gold medal hanging around his neck!

GO MATT!

Eris said...

Oh my gosh! Jake asked me the same thing because of our volunteer stuff from 2002. So cute!!!

Andi said...

It's always depressing when you realize your dad might actually not be the best after everything they do... so let him enjoy his dad's Olympic glory! Maybe your husband should enjoy it a bit too? ;)

athena said...

I think I just spit through my nose!

That is scrapbook material!