Monday, September 28, 2009

Halloween Apothecary

My new blog friend turned me on to this great Halloween apothecary. I downloaded the labels here and printed them on card stock. I scoured the D.I. (which wasn't easy as they are remodeling and everything was on wheeled carts on the sidewalk outside) and Goodwill (I'm always disappointed that they don''t offer better prices. They have better quality stuff, but not much better than shopping at TJ Maxx or the like) for the jars. After mod podging the labels to the jars, the real fun began with rifling through my cupboards to see what I could fill each jar with.

If you look closely you'll see:
Toadstool Essence = Craisins
Mummy Mold = Oreo crumbs
Werewolf Howls = Cotton balls
Tincture of Skull = Salt (both kosher and table)
Corpse Dust = Butterscotch pudding powder (the instant variety because I accidentally bought it instead of the cook and serve for sticky buns)
Deadly Nightshade = Dried Cloves
Poison = Water with red food coloring
Eye of Newt = Wrapped caramel filled chocolates (which I steal one from every now and then)

A fun little project and my kids enjoyed seeing what was going in the next jar. Now if only I could finish my "BOO" blocks and skeleton board (pics pending). Oh, and get out those fall decorations that were supposed to be up before the baby was born. Guess it's time to put up all the rest of the Halloween decor anyway.

4 comments:

Matthew English said...

The best part was when you had worked on them the night before and left them on the counter. When I brought the kids down to feed them breakfast, your 2 sons were very nervous to even touch the bottles. Especially after Mitch explained to Arch what a "corpse" was.

My offer to put some in their cereal was not really appreciated.

cate said...

This post takes me back to my days as one of the 3 "weird sisters" in my 6th grade's production of Macbeth. These labels really could have added some ambiance along with our black nail polished teeth and of course dry ice. I love love love Halloween!

sandi said...

I love them! They turned out so cute.

apyknowzitall said...

Wow, that is so crafty. I honestly think my children will be more willing to eat them because of the names.