Friday, May 16, 2008

As Political As I Get

I stumbled across a blog that linked me to information about two bills that are coming up before the House and Senate: H.R. 5889 The Orphan Works Act of 2008 and S 2913 The Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act of 2008. If these pass, any company will be allowed to use pictures posted anywhere on the web (think digital scrapbookers and bloggers) in their advertisements. Imagine if your cute kids showed up in and ad for who-knows-what-who-knows-where. Please visit this link and send letters to stop this before it's too late. Of course, I just sent a letter to Sen. Larry Craig and I'm not sure what he's doing these days. Hopefully, someone is filling in for him since his time in the airport restroom.


I promise, this is the only time I will ever post about anything political. I have others who do that for me.


3 comments:

The Numismatist said...

Just by posting photos on your blog you are relinquishing your copyrights. You can read about it at
http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help-howdoi/browse_thread/thread/55dc705e171feb3a/411d1dce7885ffc3?lnk=gst&q=

There is really no way to protect your images on the web which is why we all must be careful. However, my understanding (and after reading this bill) is that for any company to use it for monetary gain they would have to try to find the owner of the photo, easily done on a blog.

That is my two cents, but remember I still have a few semesters of law school before I am an attorney.

Muriel said...

And that is why I don't talk politics. It just shows my ignorance. I can't run with the big dogs. Thanks, Numismatist, for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

jenn w said...

ooh, thanks for this. I just sent my letter. Pretty scary. Now Joe is really going to hate google.