Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Talented Kids

So, in all the school year end melee, we had a plethora of talent shows to attend.

I was thinking that our kids really don't have any talents that can be showcased by performance. I think we are the only parents who haven't gotten our kids into piano lessons, as evidenced by how many kids played for their talent. Mitchell has expressed interest in learning to play, so we'll have to figure t hat one out, since we don't own a piano).

First, was our annual Primary Talent Show. Here is the conversation I had with Mitchell prior to the night of many talents.

Mitchell: "I want to play the piano for the talent show".
Me: "Mitchell, you don't know how to play the piano".
Mitchell: "I know I just want to make up a little song".
Me: "Um, no you can't really do that".

So what does Mitchell want to do?
Be a stand up comedian.
"How does a lamb get to the hospital?"
"By "lamb"-bulance."

"What do you call a fish without an eye?"
"A fsh."

He also told a couple other jokes and embarrassed us with his behavior at the microphone.

Archer showcased his portfolio of artwork. He wants to be an artist when he grows up.

Addison helped me make peanut butter bars and brownies.

Second, was the Second Grade Talent Show. Since I vetoed his wanting to tell jokes again, I suggested that he show how to throw discs (as in disc golf discs). I think we found ourselves the next infomercial actor.
"This disc is perfect to throw a "Scooby". Let's say you are stuck under a pine tree or another obstacle. Then this is the shot for you".

Lastly, Archer's Preschool Graduation featured all the kids performing their chosen talents. He also wanted to demonstrate how to throw a disc. He performed his favorite shot: the "Roller".



4 comments:

Eris said...

Wow, looks like early retirement for you and Matt - living off those disc golf winnings!

The Numismatist said...

I loved the jokes! The kid might have a future in show business!

sandi said...

Your kids are one in a million!!! I can't wait to see them!

Kristi said...

We don't have our kids in piano either, so thanks for not "keeping up with the jones'". And good for you for encouraging, and going through with the talent shows. My kids express a desire to do something, but they can't come up with anything but singing Strawbu-bu-berry Shortcake! Then at the end of the 2 day talent show they inform me that they don't like Hannah Montana and sick of hearing her songs.