Friday, August 24, 2007

I Heart NY







My mom, sister and I recently got back from a weekend trip to the Big Apple. My mom is a flight attendant for Jet Blue Airlines so we all flew for free (bonus!). We stayed in Queens at the apartment of another flight attendant so our lodging was free (double bonus!). We took the subway into the city each day to do the typical touristy stuff...Central Park, The Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. etc.
First up was Battery Park. We got our tickets to go out to Liberty Island. It's pretty amazing to see the Statue of Liberty in real life. Thunder and lightning started all around us, and we wondered if the safest place to be was standing under a 150 foot tall tower of copper.



The highlight of the trip for me was getting last minute tickets to Hairspray at The Neil Simon Theater. It was fantastic! The cast was fabulous! What could be better than spending a Saturday afternoon seeing Jerry Mathers (a.k.a. Beaver Cleaver) singing and dancing and grabbing Paul Vogt's breasts on Broadway? We had a great time and it was worth every penny. It is definitely something I could do at least once a year.

Because we were trying to get tickets to the Saturday matinée, we didn't get to spend as much time as we would have liked in Central Park. We really wanted to see Bethesda Fountain, one of the ice skating ponds and run like Phoebe Buffay through the park, but we ran out of time. You really could spend an entire day in Central Park. Next time, I'll make sure to visit a real New York deli before strolling the park.

Aside from the puking on the plane on the way home (I blame it on being five months pregnant), it was a memorable trip. Although, we stood outside Trump Tower and never once saw "The Donald". Oh well, maybe next time.



4 comments:

jeny said...

Pheobe wasn't 5 months prego. I love "the belly". NYC that's awesome! We will miss you at lunch on Tues for Heidi's BDay.

Anonymous said...

You guys look so cute! Muriel, so excited about your blog. Flying to NYC for free! so jealous.

Eris said...

Too much fun. But you missed the best part of the trip - um, staying with the Erises... hellooooo?

PS - I have an Angels hat and stuffed pony.

Muriel said...

Oh that's an entire post in it's own! I can't believe we left the stuffed pony and it's not been missed yet. I have a pink princess comb.