Tuesday, August 28, 2007

It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's...

Last night for Family Night, I decided to give a lesson on Manners. Now, I know the images are cheesy, but I decided to go with the superhero theme since my boys love that kind of thing (and my 2 1/2 -year-old daughter thought the girl superheroes were pretty). We talked about these specific superheroes coming to "live" at our house. After a slight interruption of our neighbor who was picking up their son who I had been watching all day, my 4-year-old started to cry. I thought he was sad because he didn't want his friend to leave. When we got him calmed down enough to understand what he was saying, this is what we heard:

"I'm just a little scared of those superheroes coming to live at our house".

Wow. I guess I needed to be a little more specific, Bob. (Kudos to whoever knows what movie that is from.) I had intended on posting the superheroes pictures on our fridge to remind us all to use our manners. This still scared him. He thought they could get off the fridge and fly around the house. (At least he's using him imagination, right?) To remedy the situation, I shrunk down the pictures and printed them to fit on one page and taped them to the inside of a kitchen cabinet (right next to the job charts). That way they "won't be able to get out unless we let them out". This seemed to satisfy him. Oh the things we come up with for our children.

Here's to many more adventurous family home evening lessons.

2 comments:

Eris said...

Dang I love Little Mr. Meemoo, Jr! Those superheroes were a bit creepy...

Oh, and "What About Bob?" Please.

Muriel said...

Good guess, but I'm going to have to correct you this one Ms. Blockbuster. The quote I'm thinking of was actually from "Phenomenon". The scene with Travolta and Brett Spiner.